(Python newbie) Using XP-SP2/MSVC6: No Python24_d.lib,winzip barfs on Python-2.4.1.tar, cannot download bzip2

Thu Apr 21 17:33:55 EDT 2005

Bill Davy wrote:
> Hi Scott,
> Nice idea.  Tried that but no more information about where the file was
> (not) found (see below).
> But many thanks for a useful flag.  I did not see them in the documentation.
> What should I be lkooking for? [StopPres: Ah ha -h why did I not think of
> that?]

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named SHIP

Two common problems here:
1) There is no file *\SHIP.pyd where * is one entry of sys.path
2) The capitalization is not correct.  The file lookup will succeed,
    but then, when "initSHIP(void)" is hunted for in the module, no such
    function will be found.  It is kind of surprising to get the funny
    mix of case-sensitivity and case-insensitivity that results from
    mixing Python and Windows.  By the way, I might not even have it
    right here; I simply make everything as if all tests were case-
    sensitive.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org