Lambda: the Ultimate Design Flaw

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 2 00:40:15 EST 2005

alex goldman wrote:
> Daniel Silva wrote:
>

>>At any rate, FOLD must fold.
>

> I personally think GOTO was unduly criticized by Dijkstra. With the benefit
> of hindsight, we can see that giving up GOTO in favor of other primitives
> failed to solve the decades-old software crisis.

What software crisis? Knuth (among others) has demonstrated that it's
possible to do structured programming in assembly language (though I
have to say that not all his MIX was particularly well-structured).

The danger in GOTO is that it allows the undisciplined programmer to
develop a badly-structured solution to a programming problem. A
disciplined programmer will write well-structured code with whatever
tools come to hand.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/