Variables

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Apr 23 23:24:07 EDT 2005

Richard Blackwood wrote:
>>> To All:
>>>
>>>    Folks, I need your help. I have a friend who claims that if I write:
>>>
>>> foo = 5
>>>
>>> then foo is NOT a variable, necessarily.
>>
> Indeed, this language is math. My friend says that foo is a constant and
> necessarily not a variable.

Well, we mostly talk Python here, not math. In Python, if you say
foo = 5
foo is a name bound to an immutable value.

If I had written foo = raw_input(), he would
> say that foo is a variable.

That's funny. foo is still a name bound to an immutable (string) value. foo is no more or less
variable than it was with foo = 5.

Which is perfectly fine except that he
> insists that since programming came from math, the concept of variable
> is necessarily the identical. This can not be true. For example, I may
> define foo as being a dictionary, but I can not do this within math
> because there is no concept of dictionaries within mathematics; yet foo
> is a variable, a name bound to a value which can change.

Sounds like you are having a stupid and meaningless argument with your friend. What you call foo
won't change what it is. He should learn Python, then he would understand the true zen of foo.

Kent