Name/ID of removable Media: how?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Tue Apr 19 11:31:27 EDT 2005

Hi All--
Tim's wmi stuff looked interesting, so I tried it out, and now I have a
question.

-----
#!/usr/bin/python

import wmi
import win32api

c=wmi.WMI()
for i in c.Win32_CDROMDrive():
    v=i.VolumeSerialNumber
    print "WMI serial",v,long(v,0x10)

vn,sn,ln,flg,fstype=win32api.GetVolumeInformation("d:\\")
print "win32api serial",sn,long(sn)
----

The output from the above script (drive d contains cd) is:

WMI serial D0ADBEE7 3501047527

win32api serial -793919769 -793919769

What's the difference between the two serial numbers?  WMI is returning
a long converted to a hex repr string, while win32api is returning an
int (type(sn) is <type 'int'>), & converting to hex bears no resemblance
to what WMI shows.  What am I missing?

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours