Multiple inheritance: Interface problem workaround, please comment this

Axel Straschil axel at straschil.com
Thu Apr 7 11:59:12 EDT 2005

Hello!

I'm working on an HTML/Cgi widget's class where multiple inheritance
well be sometime a great thing.

I solved all my problems for pythons multiple inheritance with this ng,
thaks to all again, but there is one think I still dislike:

class A(object):
	def __init__(self, a=None, **__eat):
		print "A"
		super(A, self).__init__()
class B(object):

	def __init__(self, b=None, **__eat):
		print "B"
		super(B, self).__init__()

class AB(A, B):
	def __init__(self, a=None, b=None):
		super(AB, self).__init__(a=a, b=b)

ab = AB()

This looks (and I think is) correct, but I realy dislike the **__eat
stuff. As in python everything is virtual, I found no better solution to
do that. In my real world, i've got constucts like:
	class A(object)
	class B(A)
	class AB(A,B)
(not realy  so ugly like that ;-), just to say I can work only with super to
call __init__).

My problem: If you make a coding mistake, and the mistake does not give
a runtime error becouse **__eat is a hungry evil beast, it would be very
hard to debug ... think of a wrong written parameter!

So, here is my workaround, please comment this, if someone has a better
solution I would be glad:

class A(object):
	def __init__(self, a=None, _do_eat=False, **__eat):
		if __eat and not _do_eat: raise "I'm not hungry"
		print "A"
		super(A, self).__init__()

class B(object):
	def __init__(self, b=None, _do_eat=False, **__eat):
		if __eat and not _do_eat: raise "I'm not hungry"
		print "B"
		super(B, self).__init__()

class AB(A, B):
	def __init__(self, a=None, b=None):
		super(AB, self).__init__(a=a, b=b, _do_eat=True)

ab = AB()

Thanks,
AXEL.
--
"Aber naja, ich bin eher der Forentyp." Wolfibolfi's outing in
http://www.informatik-forum.at/showpost.php?p=206342&postcount=10