Lambda: the Ultimate Design Flaw

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Tue Apr 5 23:41:30 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Aahz wrote:
>  Given the tension of the various
> requirements, I think that Python has broken "only one way" as little as
> possible, with the full intention of getting closer to its ideal when the
> time comes to break backward compatibility.

I wrote my mayalib package under 1.3.0.  It still runs perfectly well.
I will only have to rewrite parts of it when the string module goes
away.  Everything else works, and will continue to work for the
forseeable future.

That's actually less change than happened with C over the same time
period.  But there, the language didn't change, just the environment
around it--includes, libs, where things lived, etc.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours