gui developing

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 19:46:04 EDT 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 9:26 pm, John J. Lee wrote:
> "R. C. James Harlow" <james at wrong.nu> writes:
> > On Friday 22 April 2005 20:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > > I've never tried Qt.
> >
> > Qt, in my opinion, is as excellent as python in the consistency stakes,
> > has the best documentation bar none, an excellent set of python bindings,
> > the best free layout tool, and an active and helpful community.
>
> Qt's technical superiority is unchallenged (pretty much).
>
> > The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
> > doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.
>
> Soon to change: Qt 4 for Windows (and the corresponding PyQt) will be
> available under the GPL.  Dunno when Qt 4 is scheduled for though.  I
> wonder if BlackAdder will carry on with roughly similar price and
> licensing with Qt 4?

Qt 4 is scheduled for the end of Q2. The plan is that PyQt will follow "fairly
soon" after, but there will be a number of releases with classes being added
at each release. It will be some afterwards that the support matches that of
Qt 3.

> Also, somebody outside Trolltech was also doing a port of Qt 3 GPL to
> Windows which apparently got quite a long way.  Whether that effort
> continues, and whether PyQt will support that 'unofficial' port, I
> don't know (not sure TT are hugely happy about the port, so perhaps
> PyQt's author - Phil Thompson - respecting the people at TT as I'm
> sure he does, won't support it).

With something like that you adopt a "wait and see" attitude to see if it
gains any momentum.

> Poor old Phil Thompson is fated to answer the same licensing questions
> forever, though - an activity I suspect he dislikes even more than GUI
> application programming <wink>

But at least it means I can stop adding the phrase "but it depends of which
platform you are using" to every sentence I utter.

Phil