checkbook manager -> cross platform printing

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Apr 9 15:17:45 EDT 2005

"David Isaac" <aisaac0 at verizon.net> writes:

> "Alan Isaac" <aisaac0 at verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:_A34e.2207$1r6.248 at trnddc02...
>> I'd like to try personal financial management using Python.
>> I just found PyCheckbook, but it does not support check printing.
>> Is there a Python check printing application kicking around?
> OK, I'll assume silence means "no", so new question.

You really should wait more than a day for answers. Lots of people
(me, for instance) read the newsgroup once aq day.

> What is the current be practice for cross platform printing of PostScript
> files from Python?
> Same question for PDF.  (I'm aware of
> URL:http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/win32_how_do_i/print.html.)

I don't think there's a cross-platform solution for these things,
because different platforms handle printing in different manners. Your
URL talks about shellExecute for Windows. On Unix, I expect to be able
to hand ps to lpr and have the right thing happen. pdf may need a
pdf2ps (part of ghostscript) run on it first, or it may not, depending
on the system setup.

   <mike