deprecation of has_key?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 21 18:04:58 EDT 2005

"Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dfWdnZdcUZbqX_rfRVn-vw at comcast.com...
> Ahh, ok.  Now I understand.  I think you could probably search the
> python-dev archives and see why the decision was made as it was.  For
> pretty much all my purposes, "key in dict" is much more useful than "item
> in dict".  Practicality beats Purity and all. ;)

In '[for] x in mydict:', x could potentially be key, value, or item-pair.
All three were considered and discussed -- I believe on clp-- and key
chosen as the most useful.  A specific analogy brought forth was the phone
book, a mapping of names to phone number and maybe address.  The decision
was definite closer to a coin-toss to a no-brainer.

Terry J. Reedy