Getting into Python, comming from Perl.

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Apr 24 15:41:25 EDT 2005

Miguel Manso <mmanso at amplitudenet.pt> writes:

> I've tryed to use python some times but I get frustrated very quick. I
> get myself many times needing to figure out how to loop through a
> list, declare an associative array, checking how to pass named
> parameters to functions, and simple things like that.

I went through some of those frustrations.

> What I would like to know is if anyone had these problems and if you
> can share that experience with me. I'm trying to minimize my
> "frustration" :)

The thing is, the answers to all your questions are in the
documentation. You just need to know the Python names for things, and
not the Perl names. For instance, Python calls it's associative array
structure a dictionary, and a checking the documentation index for
dictionary turns up a link to the syntax for declaring one as
display/dictionary.

Read through the tutorial. Then look through some "interesting"
modules in the standard library to see how these things fit together.

        <mike