Using a python web client behind a proxy (urllib and twisted.web)

Matthijs newsclient at high.speedlinq.nl
Wed Apr 13 12:49:16 EDT 2005

I have been trying to make a script that will download several rss feeds
to my computer. The only problem I have is that I have to go through a
proxy.

First I tried using urllib (python 2.4, win32) but I found that the
http_proxy and no_proxy code were not implemented for win32. I have made
changes to urllib and urllib2 so that they use the proxy set in either
the windows registry or in an environment variable.

Question: How can I get this code added to the python distribution?

Then I found this script:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/277099

which uses twisted.web and does asynchronous requests, which is nice
when you want to download a lot of rss feeds. But again it doesn't
support a proxy, that I could find.

Question: Am i right that twisted.web.client does not support proxying?

Kind regards,
Matthijs

ps. I am just starting with Python