Can .py be complied?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 29 11:40:36 EDT 2005

steve.leach wrote:
>> python -o foo.exe foo.py
>>
>> at the command line, and get an executable, without any further effort.
>

> Hence making the resulting program useless to users of most operating
> systems.

Let's ignore for the moment whether including py2exe as a "battery" is a
desirable thing from an abstract point of view. We may legitimately
differ about that.

We should not forget in our enthusiasm for open source that while "users
of most operating systems" might not find py2exe useful, "most users of
operating systems" may well, since Windows users outnumber the rest
several times.

There's nothing wrong with open source projects catering to a market,
and there's nothing wrong with running open source software on a
proprietary operating system. To behave otherwise might reduce the
growth opportunities for Python and its community.

no-zealotry-please-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/