Compute pi to base 12 using Python?

Doug Schwarz see at sig.for.address.edu
Wed Apr 13 23:14:51 EDT 2005

In article <mailman.1865.1113441561.1799.python-list at python.org>,
 Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote:

> Dan wrote at 18:02 4/13/2005:
> >On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:27:06 -0700, Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> > > I'm just trying to help an artist acquaintance who needs (I just
> > >learned) the first 3003 digits of pi to the base 12.
> >
> >Now you've got me curious.  Why would an artist want the first 3003
> >digits of pi to the base 12?
>
> He says,
> Do you know how I can get "base12 pi"?
> Because the chromatic scale is base12.
> c c# d d# e f f# g g# a a# b
>
> Dick

Does your artist friend have any idea what base 12 means?

The chromatic scale is based on one twelfth powers of two, i.e., if the
frequency of a note in the scale is f(n), then the frequency of the next
note is given by

  f(n+1) = f(n) * 2^(1/12)

so by the time you go all 12 notes in an octave you have doubled the
frequency.  There is nothing here involving base 12 or pi.

--
Doug Schwarz
dmschwarz&urgrad,rochester,edu