Programming Language for Systems Administrator

Bryan belred at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:27:26 EDT 2005

pythonUser_07 wrote:
> Python is great, but having much "admin" type experience, I've found
> python to be less than Ideal when dealing with system calls and
> standard Input Ouput.
>
> For example, I've written complex tools that use perforce, I've taken
> advantage of both regular IO and the perforce marshalled IO.  Under
> heavy load, some of the threads in my scripts experience IO hang (Linux
> and WIndows) (solaris and BSD were fine).  I did not get the same
> behavior with Perl.
>
> Having said that I still do 99% of my utilities in python.  Just be
> aware.

i've written some complex tools around perforce too, but i use the perforce
python module and get an order of magnitude better performance than when i use
popen to execute the same command (if that is what you are referring to  by
"regular IO and marshalled IO".  my app doesn't use threads, so i can't speak to
that, but i've never experienced an IO hang related to perforce.

bryan