Programming Language for Systems Administrator

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue Apr 12 05:15:36 EDT 2005

    Sizer> Looking at my followup, I really didn't make it clear that
    Sizer> you'll have to learn some bash scripting to be an effective
    Sizer> *nix administrator, just because so many parts of the
    Sizer> system use bash scripting. But python is much nicer to
    Sizer> write anything non-trivial in.

If you don't need to edit already existing system scripts, you don't
really need to know bash scripting. For debugging purposes, it's easy
to see what commands the script executes to perform a task.

You just need to know about `backticks` and $ENV_VARS, but that's more
general Unix knowledge than actual shell scripting.

So IMHO learning bash scripting might be a waste of time, and it
should be learnt 'as you go' - i.e. if/when you eventually bump into a
problem where you need to be able to do bash scripting. There's the
'Unix romantic' movement that still thinks shell scripts are a good
idea, but this is my .02EUR to point out that not everyone agrees with
them.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb