zlib and zipfile module in Python2.4

Alan Toppen atoppen at screaminet.com
Mon Apr 11 10:38:37 EDT 2005

I was unable to use the ZipFile class in the zipfile module in Python2.4. I
got an error that zlib could not be found. Comparing my Python 2.2
installation I noticed Python 2.4 was missing a certain file:
/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/zlibmodule.so. Unable to find a more elegant
solution, I copied the file from my Python 2.2 directory into my Python 2.4
directory. When running my Python script it gives a warning:

/usr/local/lib/python2.4/zipfile.py:7: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version
mismatch for module zlib: This Python has C API version 1012, module zlib
has version 1011.
  import zlib # We may need its compression method

But it works. Python 2.2 and 2.3 handle zipfiles out of the box. Could a
file have been omitted from Python 2.4 by accident?