Get OS name

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Apr 15 11:18:35 EDT 2005

"codecraig" wrote:

> How can I get the OS Name, such as "Windows XP Pro"

>i guess i wanted the result in a nice string like Windows XP instead of
> 5.1
>
> i guess i'll have to convert it myself, thanks

your requirements keep changing.  to get the OS name in a platform-
independent way, use the platform module:

> python
>>> import platform
>>> print platform.system(), platform.release()
Windows XP

$ python
>>> import platform
>>> print platform.system(), platform.release()
Linux 2.4.18-3

etc.

(tip: reading the "library reference" table of contents a couple of times is a great way
to learn about the contents of the standard library. http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html )

</F>