Getting into Python, comming from Perl.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Apr 24 19:13:16 EDT 2005

Miguel Manso wrote:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>
>>Miguel Manso <mmanso at amplitudenet.pt> writes:
>>

>>>I've tryed to use python some times but I get frustrated very quick. I
>>>get myself many times needing to figure out how to loop through a
>>>list, declare an associative array, checking how to pass named
>>>parameters to functions, and simple things like that.
>>>

>>I went through some of those frustrations.
>>

>>>What I would like to know is if anyone had these problems and if you
>>>can share that experience with me. I'm trying to minimize my
>>>"frustration" :)
>>>

>>The thing is, the answers to all your questions are in the
>>documentation. You just need to know the Python names for things, and
>>not the Perl names. For instance, Python calls it's associative array
>>structure a dictionary, and a checking the documentation index for
>>dictionary turns up a link to the syntax for declaring one as
>>display/dictionary.
>>
>>Read through the tutorial. Then look through some "interesting"
>>modules in the standard library to see how these things fit together.
>>
>>        <mike
>>

> I guess I'll just do that. I'll put the frustration in a bag, grab the
> documentation and try to figure it out.
>
> Thanks all.

And, when the frustration returns, ask questions on c.l.py or the tutor
list. By and large we don;t bite here, and the tutor list is
particularly newbie-friendly, though with your Perl experience *that*
may not be as appropriate.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/