pre-PEP: Suite-Based Keywords - syntax proposal

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 01:38:02 EDT 2005

Ron wrote:
> How about using ***name in the same way as *name, and **name are used?
> It extends the current argument options in a consistent manner and 'I
> believe' is easy to explain and visually says something different is
> happening here.
>
> This builds on the already present arg, *arg, **arg,  and so why not a
> ***arg to represent the 4th alternative, a suite?

I dont' see how this is consistent.  *arg and **arg correspond to the
two different container protocols: sequence/iterable and mapping.  Which
container protocol do you se ***arg as corresponding to?  Note that
namespaces are just mappings, so if you want to treat a block like a
namespace, **arg makes more sense...

STeVe