Python license (2.3)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 13 13:30:18 EDT 2005

"Antoon Pardon" <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote in message
news:slrnd5pqfh.lf2.apardon at rcpc42.vub.ac.be...
> I see this as my contribution to the communities who has provided me
> with all kinds of things that are usefull to me. I'm willing to put
> time into this,

Great.  My human, non-lawyer advice, if I were to give it, would be to
worry less and remember that PSF exists to promote Python, not to sue
Python promoters.

>From what I understand from what you have written, you have written code
for a tutorial based on one module of the library.  I personally would
treat this minor extraction differently from a 'derived' work consisting of
an alternate interpreter + library, such as from ActiveState, or Enthought,
or Jython, or Iron-Python.  I think I would simply put lines in the header
something like:
"Derived from module heapify in the library included with CPython 2.x, (C)
<include PSA's copyright notice>, available from www.python.org/wherever.

Terry J. Reedy