Is Python appropriate for web applications?

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Fri Apr 15 05:47:14 EDT 2005

Unknown User schrieb:
> I am a Python programmer and I'm thinking about learning PHP, which is
> similar to C++

wrong

> (quite  different from Python).

true

> I want to start writing web applications. Do  you  think if I learn
 > PHP I'll develop faster?

Nobody but you can anawer this question. You'll have to try.

Does PHP have more features?

PHP has a rich library which probably outperforms any Python alternative
in terms of features. But this doesn't necessarily mean that you will
develop faster in PHP. The problem with Python is that you have to make
a choice among many solutions (roughly ordered by inreasing complexity):

- plain cgi
- Quixote
- modpython
- CherryPy
- Spice
- Webware
- Twisted
- ZOPE

Have a look at http://www.python.org/topics/web/

> How about the speed  of execution?

There is no simple answer. Both languages use C functions which are
executed at CPU speed. But with interpreted code Python seems to be
approximately 3-4 times faster than PHP (http://dada.perl.it/shootout/).

http://www.allsites.com/Top.Computers.Programming.Languages.Comparison_and_Review.html