Array of Chars to String

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 19 16:33:17 EDT 2005

Hello,

I am looking for a nice way to take only those charachters from a string that
are in another string and make a new string:

>>> astr = "Bob Carol Ted Alice"
>>> letters = "adB"
>>> some_func(astr,letters)
"Bad"

I can write this like this:

astr = "Bob Carol Ted Alice"
letters = "adB"

import sets
alist = [lttr for lttr in astr if lttr in Set(letters)]
newstr = ""
for lttr in alist:
  newstr += lttr

But this seems ugly. I especially don't like "newstr += lttr" because it makes
a new string every time. I am thinking that something like this has to be a
function somewhere already or that I can make it more efficient using a
built-in tool.

Any ideas?

James

--