Codig style: " or """

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:30:41 EDT 2005

On 4/13/05, Sara Khalatbari <sarapythonlist at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Suppose you're writing a module & writing the
> definition of each function in that module in " or
> """.
> for example:
> a) "This function does this & that"
> or:
> b)  """This function does blah blah blah"""
>
> What are the differences between " and """ ?
> I'm using gedit & I wanna know a bit about coding
> style.
>
> To be very honest: I have a very strict boss who looks
> for bugs in my codes & he insists to know exactly
> which 'CODING STYLE AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE' I've based
> my coding style on when using " or """.
>
> Can anybody out there give me some hint?
> Can anybody tell me where to find a document on python
> coding style.

the authoritative coding style guide is pep 8:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html

Of course, there are style points that are debatable, but for
comments, you should definitely be using triple-quotes. Pep 8 points
you to pep 257, which is all about docstrings:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0257.html

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com