Variables

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 24 01:14:46 EDT 2005

Richard Blackwood wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>> If you must, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable
>>
> Fantastic, wikipedia deals precisely with the difference between
> variables in mathematics versus programming. However, he would never
> trust a definition from such an "unreputable" source. If you have any
> other sources I might direct him to...he maintains that the notion of
> foo being a variable where it's value is known (versus unknown) is
> illogical.

His problem is that he doesn't respect that technical terms can have
different meanings in different fields and contexts. No authoritative
reference can solve his problem for him. He's being overly pedantic
about a field in which *he* is clearly not an authority. You can't
convince such people, only ignore them.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu