Installing Python 2.4 on Linux

Simon John simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 23:47:52 EDT 2005

Marcin Stepnicki wrote:

> It's rather Fedora related, I have Python 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 on my
Ubuntu
> box and they seem to coexist without problems.

It's not a Fedora problem at all.

The 2.4.1 RPM's just move the default /usr/bin/python symlink to point
to the new Python24 instead of Python23 that is the system default. You
can move it back and then just point to it in the shebang in your
scripts (#!/usr/bin/python24)

Or you could compile 2.4 from source as I did, then you won't need to
change symlinks, just install it in /usr/local/bin/python24 or
something. I prefer this method, as it means you can have a seperate
2.4 install of wxPython etc (just change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH).