oracle interface

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Tue Apr 5 14:43:55 EDT 2005

In searching I find there several different ways to
connect to an Oracle server on MS Windows:

  mxODBC - http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html
    built on top of the ODBC drivers for a given database

  DCOracle2 - http://www.zope.org/Members/matt/dco2/
    last update is 1.3 beta released 2 years ago?

  cx_oracle - http://www.computronix.com/utilities.shtml

  oc8py - http://sourceforge.net/projects/oci8py
    Looks dead

Based on my own observations, people generally use the
first two packages.  Left to me I would use DCOracle2
because I've used it under unix - I have rather little
MS Windows experience.

There hasn't been much discussion about either option
on c.l.py so I'ld be grateful for feedback.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com