Python licence again

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Apr 22 16:54:00 EDT 2005

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy <gandalf at geochemsource.com> writes:

> fuzzylollipop wrote:
>
> >try spelling license correctly next time and heading the google
> >suggestions that probably looked like "didn't you mean : Python License"
> >
> Oh yes, that was the problem. I'm not aware of that. Unfortunately,
> I'm not an American. I'm Hungarian
> and my dictionary said 'licence' is correct. But I looked at
> 'license'. It means almost the same. :-)
>
> Is it something like 'center' or 'color' for Americans and 'centre' or
> 'colour' for British people?

Yes.  ISTR that licence is a British English spelling, though my
British brain has been thoroughly contaminated by US spellings and
usage by now.  (Or are they like practice and practise, which (can)
mean subtly different things in British English (which few native
English speakers can keep straight, certainly not me...)?)

I will never pronounce thorough 'thurrow', though.  One must draw a
line.

<wink>

John