py2exe - create one EXE

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Fri Apr 15 20:37:07 EDT 2005

Codecraig wrote:
> i tried the SingleInstaller link....which points to a
> script using NSIS.  I followed those instructions which generated an
> .exe.   HOwever, when i run the .exe nothing happens (meaning no
> process starts, no output, no errors, nothing).
>
> any ideas on that?  have ever used it?

There are a couple of things you can try. First off, if you are using
Python 2.4, then you may be missing msvcr71.dll and/or msvcp71.dll on
the system you are trying to run on (the corresponding file(s) for
Python 2.3 and earlier are extremely common so you aren't nearly as
likely to run into this problem). Look for the line that looks like this
in the NSIS script:

    File /r '${py2exe.....

And add this line just after it (assuming you installed Python in the
default location):

    File 'C:\Python24\msvc*.*'

If you intend to distribute your result, then you can Google this group
for discussions about msvcr71.dll and license requirements for
redistribution - you won't find a definitive answer to the questions
you'll see, but you should be aware of the issues.

If that doesn't solve your problem, the next step to debugging it is to
try running the multi-file version produced by setup.py. If that doesn't
work, some common problems/workarounds can be found on the py2exe wiki.
Obviously the single file version won't work until the multi file
version works.

Chris Liechti has another solution, but the last time I checked it was
only for Python 2.3. It's on his page at:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/python/

Jimmy