newbie question

Tiziano Bettio t.bettio at transnorm.ch
Wed Apr 20 13:49:47 EDT 2005

Cameron Laird wrote:

>In article <mailman.2137.1113949084.1799.python-list at python.org>,
>Tiziano Bettio  <t.bettio at transnorm.ch> wrote:
>			.
>

>>If u want to achieve high performance you'd rather use c++ and directly
>>access libs like nvidias cg, ms directx or opengl...
>>

>			.
>			.
>			.
>Yes.  Well, maybe.  Python-coded programs, even graphically-intense
>games, *can* exhibit good performance, and there are numerous
>anecdotes about applications LOSING speed on conversion to C++ from
>Python.  Moreover, there's no inherent conflict between C++ and
>Python; some successful applications use both.
>
>My summary:  it's a subtler matter than, "for performance, abandon
>Python on favor of C++".  I think you know that, but I want to make
>it explicit for less-experienced readers.

yeah well, i didn't intended to say it in this specific way. tough to be
more exact: for a game you can realize up to 95% in python without
losing the needed performance. but there's almost always a little part
where u really need to get even the last bit of performance out of the
hardware or where nobody has already ported the lib you need into
python, where c++ comes in rather handy.

I didn't ment to offend any pythonian (wouldn't want to offend
myself...), but i think we all agree that sometimes all of us have seen
or even programmed something in c++ (or other languages) what could come
in really handy for a project one is working on.

so again, didn't ment to say that it's a performance matter (there are
thousands of bad c++ programmers out there which are hiding behind
compiled code...) :)

cheers tc