"specialdict" module

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:06:51 EDT 2005

Georg Brandl wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>in follow-up to the recent "dictionary accumulator" thread, I wrote a
>>little module with several subclassed dicts.
>>
>>Comments (e.g. makes it sense to use super), corrections, etc.? Is this
>>PEP material?
>>
>>Docstrings, Documentation and test cases are to be provided later.
>
> So, no further interest in this? Or should I write a PEP before?

I'd personally like to see a PEP.  It'd give people a chance to come up
with some use cases that really justify adding such specialized dicts to
the standard library.  The only use cases I can come up with would be
better served by functions that take a sequence and produce a dict (e.g.
by counting items or by grouping items into lists).  Once the dict is
built, I usually have no more need for the default-specialized methods.

I'm sure there are some good use cases out there for such dicts, but
before I get behind this, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them. =)

STeVe