ntvdm problem on win2k

Al Christians achrist at easystreet.com
Sat Apr 9 17:15:38 EDT 2005

Alexander Schremmer wrote:

> Windows tries to execute the cygwin symbolic link and fails.
> Correcting your path works (as you said).

One thing about that: I re-installed python (ie upgraded to python
2.3.5) and it did not solve the error.  I assume that the python 2.3.5
installer is so well-mannered that it did not put itself at the head of
the path, but saw that it was already in the path somewhere, and left
itself there.  This is nice, but it was disappointing, in that I did a
fresh install to no avail.  And, is it not fairly common for other
installers of less refined software to add to the head of the path each
time that they run, no matter how many times the same entry is repeated.
So, by being very nice, python is sort of non-conformist or nearly
eccentric, which I wish everyone would be.  But how can one despise 99%
of everything?

When I installed cygwin, I checked it for python.  It had something like
python2.4.1.exe visible, but that symbolic link was not.

No big deal.

Al