kdialog and unicode

John Ridley ojokimu at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 16:44:13 EDT 2005

Matt wrote:
> Interesting - this displays correctly when I run the above code from
> python shell.  However, when I run it as a superkaramba theme (which
is
> a wrapper interface to some kde functions, but allegedly passes
> straight python functions direct to the python interpreter), it shows
> up as letters, with &nnn (where nnn is a number) instead of the \xc4
> etc.  I need to do some more investigating of this with the
> superkaramba developers, and my own machine to see where the problem
> lies - clearly it's not in the code I'm using - there's either
> something wrong on my machine, or wrong with the way superkaramba
> passes this code to the python interpreter.

If xml character escapes are showing up in the output, it suggests the
input is being treated as plain-text, rather than as rich-text (i.e.
markup). In order for kdialog to guess that the input is markup, it
needs to find some sort of tag before the first line-break. That is why
I used P tags to enclose the polish text in my example - you didn't
leave these off when you tried it out with superkaramba, did you? What
exactly *is* the code you are running?

BTW, if you want more details on kdialog's markup handling, try this
reference from the qt docs:

http://doc.trolltech.com/qstylesheet.html

HTH

John Ridley