Regular Expressions - Python vs Perl

Karl A. Krueger kkrueger at example.edu
Thu Apr 21 20:33:00 EDT 2005

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Depending upon you particular application, 'completeness' may be a
> more relevant concern than 'performance'.  I believe the original
> Python regex engine did not have all the Perl extensions, some of them
> decidedly 'non regular'.  It was replace by the 'perl-compatible regex
> engine' (pcre or pre), written in C by a non-pythonista so that other
> languages/applications, like Python, could drop it in and have what
> the title claimed -- perl-like re capability.

By way of comparison, there do exist at least some Perl-compatible regex
libraries in other non-Perl languages, which don't use libpcre.

An example is CL-PPCRE (http://www.weitz.de/cl-ppcre/), which claims to
be "more compatible with the regex semantics of Perl 5.8.0 than, say,
Perl 5.6.1 is."

--
Karl A. Krueger <kkrueger at example.edu> { s/example/whoi/ }