ANN: Veusz 0.5 - a scientific plotting package

Jeremy Sanders jeremy+plusnews at jeremysanders.net
Mon Apr 18 06:10:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:55:17 -0700, hemanth wrote:

> Why not matplotlib? Of late, it has seemed to have picked up a lot of
> attention. I would prefer that the different plotting packages developers
> join hands and implement missing features into a single plotting package
> and make this a part of Python standard library. In contrast to the
> various web frameworks we now have in Python, it is preferable to have
> atleast one plotting package as a standard Python package.

I made a reply on this subject to the SciPy mailing list:

Basically my main issue was the baroque object structure that matplotlib
used (it may have got better then), and its speed (which has).

The difficulty of writing a plotting package is the user interface, and so
I don't think I'm wasting much effort by having my own plotting routines.
I've done 90% of what's needed there. Basically, I'll be happy when
contouring and images are added.

The advantage of Veusz is the nice object-based system of building up a
plot.

I have a version of veusz which used matplotlib as a backend, but I
abandoned that several months ago.

Jeremy