Gnuplot.py and, _by far_, the weirdest thing I've ever seen on my computer

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 03:37:59 EDT 2005

syd wrote:

> I don't even know where to begin.  This is just bizarre.  I just picked
> up the Gnuplot.py module (a light interface to gnuplot commands) and
> was messing around with it today.
>
> I've got a tiny script, but it only works from the command line about
> half the time!  In the python interpreter, 100%.   Ipython, 100%.  I'm
> not kidding.

Nothing strange about it.  When run standalone, the python interpreter quits and
cleans up after itself, possibly deleting temp files before gnuplot gets a
chance to use them.  You can put a time.sleep(5) before exiting, or even safer,
a full safety check:

while 1:
  if os.path.isfile(your_plot_filename):
    break