Troll? was: Re: goto statement

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:09:17 EDT 2005

On 4/20/05, Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Maxim Kasimov wrote:
> > André Roberge wrote:

> >> Let me get that clear: you want a goto to help with debugging.
> >>
> >> And you want to obfuscate your code even more?
> >>
> >> !?
> >>
> >> Perhaps you need to write in Perl, or some other similar language.
> >>
> >> Writing in Python is for those that seek clarity (not obfuscation) and
> >> less bugs.   Which is why a goto statement should definitely never be
> >> part of Python!
> >>
> >> André
> >>

> > so insulting to me - you asking i'm a troll, only becose i'm saing that
> > goto maybe sometimes usefull.
>
> No, because you said that it was useful for obfuscating code.
> Obfuscating code is generally not a desirable feature of a language
> construct.

I believe he meant obfuscating bytecode for a commercial product, to
try and avoid decompilation, which is often a desirable function for
commercial entities.

(Not that I have the technical knowledge to agree or disagree with
what he said, I'm just trying to help clear up what's become a fairly
bogged-down argument.)

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com