Programming Language for Systems Administrator

Buck Nuggets bucknuggets at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 13:06:40 EDT 2005

>> I also tried SAP-DB before.

>        Now known as (or was, last time I checked) "MaxDB by MySQL"

and formerly known as the pre-relational dbms 'Adabas'.  I think the
only reason for its continued existance is that SAP was hoping for a
very low cost, low-end database years ago.  However, the database world
has changed substantially over the last ten years: you can get
postgresql and firebird for nothing, and db2 & oracle are often under
$1000 for a small server.

With that in mind I can't think of a database that's more of a has-been
than maxdb.  Maybe something from the 70s like IMS-DB or Model 204?

buck