[OT] Re: Programming Language for Systems Administrator

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 12 11:23:16 EDT 2005

beliavsky at aol.com said unto the world upon 2005-04-12 08:11:

<SNIP>

> I actually like the Windows cmd language (it's an acquired taste), but
> I have read it is going away in Windows Longhorn (WH). That's an
> argument for writing more complicated scripts in Python. WH is supposed
> to get a much better shell, called Monad, inspired by the philosophy of
> Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz :).

Hi all,

this is the first I've heard of Monad.

Leibniz characterized his monads as the fundamental building blocks of
nature, insusceptible of change from the outside, and as "windowless".

So, if the account of MS's plans is true, it would seem to indicate a
combination of arrogance, honesty, and ignorance. (I leave it to you
to decide which part, if any, of this triad, is surprising.)

Best to all,

Brian vdB