win32ui CreateFileDialog SLOW (since the SP2 Windows XP patch?)

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+gravity at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:56:16 EDT 2005

Kitty:

> Now it can take up to 4 minutes for the file dialog box to appear. No
> problems with speed in PythonWin, of course, but she is not used to
> doing that. Any suggestions? Anyone know why it is so slow?

   I have seen similar issues in the past but mainly on Windows 9x with
particular start directories for the dialog. Windows tries to remember
which directory was most recently chosen by each application. Possibly
it has associated python.exe with a directory on a removed drive,
network share, or virtual location (like "My Network Places") and takes
a while to fail over to a working place.

   Neil