unittest vs py.test?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Apr 4 09:33:11 EDT 2005

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Peter Hansen]
>>(I'm not dissing py.test, and intend to check it
>>out.
>
> Not to be disrepectful, but objections raised by someone
> who hasn't worked with both tools equate to hot air.

Not to be disrespectful either, but criticism by
someone who has completely missed my point (and apparently
not read my posts) doesn't seem entirely fair.

At no time in this thread have I objected to py.test.
The sole point of my posts has been to object to those
claiming unittest as "heavy" when in the same
breath they seem to think you have to know all kinds
of details about TestSuite, TestRunner, and TestResult
objects just to use it.  I tried to demonstrate that
my way of using it appears to be on the same order of
"lightness" as some of the samples that were being used
to show how much lighter py.test was.

> Until you've exercised both packages, you haven't helped the OP
> whose original request was:  "Is there anybody out there who has
> used both packages and can give a comparative review?"

It seems possible to me that I might have helped him
solely by pointing out that unittest might not be so
"heavy" as some people claimed.  I got the impression
that he might be swayed by some unfounded claims not
even to look further at unittest, which I felt would
be a bad thing. (Not to say your comments are unfounded,
as clearly they are valid... I happen to believe mine
have been, in this thread, as well.  I guess you're
free to believe otherwise.  Cheers.)

-Peter