Python extension performance

David Jones dmj111.9352919 at bloglines.com
Fri Apr 8 22:14:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to hunt down the difference in performance between some raw
C++ code and calling the C++ code from Python.  My goal is to use Python
to control a bunch of number crunching code, and I need to show that
this will not incur a (big) performance hit.

This post includes a description of my problem, ideas I have for the
cause, and some things I plan to try next week.  If anyone knows the
real cause, or thinks any of my ideas are way off base, I would
appreciate hearing about it.

My C++ function (testfunction) runs in 2.9 seconds when called from a
C++ program, but runs in 4.3 seconds when called from Python.
testfunction calculates its own running time with calls to clock(), and
this is for only one iteration, so none of the time is in the SWIG code
or Python.

Both the C++ executable and python module were linked from the same
object files, and linked with the same options.  The only difference is
that the Python module is linked with -shared, and the C++ code is not.

The computer is an Itanium 2.  The code was compiled with the Intel
Compiler, and uses the Intel Math Libraries.  Python is version 2.2
(with little hope of being able to upgrade) from the Red Hat rpm
install.  When I link the C++ exe, I get some warnings about "log2l not
implemented" from libimf, but I do not see these when I link the Python .so.

Some potential causes of my problems:

- linking to a shared library instead building a static exe.
- intel libraries are not being used when I think they are
- libpython.so was built with gcc, so I am getting some link issues
- can linking to python affect my memory allocation and deallocation in
c++??

Some things I can try:

- recompile python with the intel compiler and try again
- compile my extension into a python interpreter, statically
- segregate the memory allocations from the numerical work and compare
how the C++ and Python versions compare

--end brain dump

Dave