Programming Language for Systems Administrator

pythonUser_07 zsolt-googleP6463 at mailblocks.com
Wed Apr 13 17:01:49 EDT 2005

Python is great, but having much "admin" type experience, I've found
python to be less than Ideal when dealing with system calls and
standard Input Ouput.

For example, I've written complex tools that use perforce, I've taken
advantage of both regular IO and the perforce marshalled IO.  Under
heavy load, some of the threads in my scripts experience IO hang (Linux
and WIndows) (solaris and BSD were fine).  I did not get the same
behavior with Perl.

Having said that I still do 99% of my utilities in python.  Just be
aware.