Tkinter & Tkconstants

tiissa tiissa at nonfree.fr
Mon Apr 18 16:38:55 EDT 2005

codecraig wrote:
> from Tkinter import *
>
> you have access to the constants in Tkconstants, since Tkinter imports
> it automatically.

Yes

> However, in the shell if I do..
>
> from Tkinter import *
>
> print Tkinter.HORIZONTAL
>
> I get an error..NameError: Tkinter is not defined

Sure, you ask for Tkinter.HORIZONTAL. But if you directly ask for
HORIZONTAL it should work.
indeed your from statement imported the _content_ of the Tkinter module
in the global namespace not the module in itself.

It's either:
from Tkinter import *
print HORIZONTAL

or:
import Tkinter
print Tkinter.HORIZONTAL

or even:
import Tkinter
from Tkinter import *
print HORIZONTAL,Tkinter.HORIZONTAL

> any ideas?
I usually only use:
import OneModule

Or sometimes:
from OneModule import OneClass, OneConstant

But I usually don't import a whole module in my global namespace.

> I get what i expect.  but according to the tutorial i should only need
> Tkinter.
You do.