HTTPSConnection script fails, but only on some servers (long)

Paul Winkler stuff at slinkp.com
Wed Apr 13 15:52:05 EDT 2005

pyg... at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a couple of recipes at the python cookbook site, that allows
> python to do proxy auth and ssl. The easiest one is:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/301740

Thanks for that John!
I gave it a whirl, changed the user, passwd, host, and phost and gave
it a run.
It instantly barfs with this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "testYetAnotherHttpsClient.py", line 25, in ?
    ssl = socket.ssl(proxy, None, None)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/socket.py", line 73, in ssl
    return _realssl(sock, keyfile, certfile)
socket.sslerror: (8, 'EOF occurred in violation of protocol')

Hmm. On reflection, I don't think the problem solved by your script is
the
same as mine. As I understand it, your script connects to an
SSL-protected
server on port 443 by going through a plain HTTP proxy on port 80?
That's not the case for me.  The server on port 80 is behind the
server on port 443.