Suggesting methods with similar names

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Apr 1 06:41:49 EST 2005

Suggesting method names based on a wrong method name can be useful, but
I think the "smart help" can be improved: it can also be useful to have
a suggestion for method names on the basis on a short description (or
keywords) about what I want to do to/with the object. Maybe some people
here can give me some suggestions on how to do this.

I think I can add a
final part to each docstring of the methods, so a kind of little search
engine can search for the few most fitting methods based on the user
text search query, and on the methods keywords+doc texts.

User query example:
"How to rotate the object"

Result (a short ranked list of method names that can perform that
operation):
rotate, flip, pivot, mirror

(Note: the query is inserted calling a "help" method, or something
similar, etc. It doesn't require any magic.)
Do you know any little search engine that can be used for this purpose?

Thank you,
Bearophile