boring the reader to death (wasRe: Lambda: the Ultimate Design Flaw

Sunnan sunnan at handgranat.org
Sat Apr 2 06:35:17 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Aahz]
>
>>>"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
>>>classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
>>>not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR
>

> [Sunnan]
>
>>Can anyone please point me to the text that quote was taken from? I
>>tried to use a search engine but I only found quotations, not the source.
>

> That's because it was originally in email to a company-internal
> mailing list.  If you're willing to move to Fredericksburg, VA and
> work for Zope Corp, perhaps they'll let you in to the PythonLabs list
> archives.  Fair warning:  I work for Zope Corp, and I'm not sure I can
> get into those archives.  So don't switch jobs _just_ for that.

It's just that I'm having a hard time matching that quote to what I
though python was about. I thought boring code was considered a virtue
in python. ("Explicit is better than implicit", "sparse is better than
dense".)

Because what is "boring"? The opposite of dense, tense, intense. Utterly
predictable; it's like the combination of all my prejudices. Even before
I knew, I thought "Bet Python separates statements from expressions".

Sunnan
PS.
(People easily offended can substitute "boring" for "readable" in the
above text.)