database in python ?

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud peufeu at free.fr
Tue Apr 12 17:54:22 EDT 2005

> It's not a bug if you didn't RTFM.

	I did read it in much detail !

	In fact I spent a lot of time trying to make understand how it could do a
simple 4-table join to display also purchased products on an online store.
The damn query took 0.5 seconds to execute no matter how I twisted it in
and out !
	Postgres did it in 0.5 milliseconds.
	I had to split the query in two in the application !

	Speaking of the manual, the mysql manual is quite... well... i don't
quite find the word, but it has many sentences which sound like PR stuff.
Like, we don't do this like you or anyone would expect, but there is a
reason ! Embrace our school of thought, stop worrying about integrity  !
Peace, my friend, etc. And the non-working examples posted in the user
comments are nice to look at, too. The organization of the manual is a
mess, too, it's often quite difficult to find what I seek. The postgres
manual is just wonderful.

	I know I'm feeding the flamewar, but I can't resist, once I came up on a
post on the mysql website from a guy basically saying "wow, the fulltext
is so powerful, I can search this document set in only half a second !"
and then the same day, on the postgres mailinglist, there was a message
 from a guy who was really upset because his full text search on something
like 1000 times bigger would take more than one tenth a second, and that
wan't really acceptable for him, and then several competent people
responded and helped him make it work.

	That's also why I want to use postgres.