smtplib does not send to all recipients

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 13 18:21:05 EDT 2005

dccarson at gmail.com wrote:
> That seems reasonable.  However, using the 'mail' utility I can deliver
> the same mail successfully.  I assume mail is using sendmail under the
> covers, which is doing the same negotiation with the same SMTP server?

The facts would appear to suggest that both sources are accepted by the
local SMTP server - as long as you are positive both chains are indeed
contacting the same server. Ethereal could show you this.

A possible scenario would be that the downstream SMTP chain is somehow
discriminating against the Python-originated messages. Logs should give
evidence here.

So, unless it's a simple typo and you are using different (email or SMTP
server) addresses that you think are the same, see my original response,
which included

> and you need to take the matter up with whoever runs the SMTP server. Are you sure the address is actually valid?

Evidence for and against? These things are a pain, but with patience you
can usually track them down. You could try explaining to a stuffed toy,
or a sock on your hand, exactly why there can't be anything wrong with
your code. My wife's bears are very forbearing [n.p.i.]. Whatever it
takes to break the perceptual barrier.

We now return you to your regular episode of scheduled tasks ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/