Can .py be complied?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 30 09:31:47 EDT 2005

John J. Lee wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> [...]
>
>>There's nothing wrong with open source projects catering to a market,
>>and there's nothing wrong with running open source software on a
>>proprietary operating system. To behave otherwise might reduce the
>>growth opportunities for Python and its community.
>>
>>no-zealotry-please-ly y'rs  - steve
>
> [...]
>
> I'm hesitant to label everybody who disagrees with you (and me) on
> that a zealot.  Though I tend to take the same side you do, I'm not
> entirely sure it's not just laziness on my part that I think that way.
>
> Seems to me that holding opinions such as "it's a bad thing to support
> open source software on closed source systems, and you should not do
> it, for the common good" is far from crazy, even though I don't
> currently happen to hold that view.

Well, we appear to agree. Please note I wasn't labelling anyone a
zealot, simply implying that I didn't want the discussion to descend to
blind repetitions of principle with no supporting arguments.

I have no problem with others taking a different view from mine on this
issue, though I reserve the right to disagree with them. My own view is
that open source (Python included) wouldn't be anywhere near as advanced
and popular as it is if it hadn't been ported to the majority platform,
and that this actually positions it better for eventual world domination
:-). There's a reason Microsoft are fighting Linux with FUD.

Let's also not forget that at PyCon, (I am told) when Jim Hugunin asked
for a show of hands as to who principally developed for Windows
platforms, *Guido* raised his hand.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/