How to run Python in Windows w/o popping a DOS box?

Paul Rubin http
Thu Apr 21 23:12:40 EDT 2005

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:

> I would try right-clicking the shortcut icon and selecting
> properties, then select the shortcut tab and edit the target string
> with s/python/pythonw/ and then click ok.
>
> Then try double clicking the shortcut icon again.  If that does it,
> you're home ;-) If not, post more symptoms.

Hmm, I clicked properties and the word python doesn't appear in the
shortcut string.  The shortcut string simply points to the .py file.
I think Windows knows to run Python because of some registry entry
that maps the .py extension to python.exe.  I don't know which entry
and changing it sounds a little bit dangerous.

I did see that I could select a button launch the dos box minimized,
so it doesn't clutter up the screen.  That mostly solves the immediate
problem.  A more complete solution (eliminate dos box altogether)
would be nice, but I can live with an auto-minimized box.

Thanks.